I really don’t want to write about the novel coronavirus a/k/a COVID-19. Really. I’d rather be writing about new movies or TV shows coming out, fun things people are doing, fun things I’m doing, even the murder hornets that are headed our way. At least they’re different. Okay, just for a moment, let me address the murder hornets. They kill bees, not people. So there’s that. Praying Mantises can kill them. That’s true. However, covering the west coast with praying mantises is a staggeringly bad idea. Praying mantises are meat eaters. While not known to attack in swarms, they’d need to eat something when they ran out of murder hornets so they could attack larger prey. That would be a horrible way for you to lose Fido, so don’t do it. [Read more…] about Make It Stop
Okay, I do have some fun, and uplifting stuff to share, but I’ve got to get the public service stuff out of the way first.
- Don’t drink bleach – It can kill you
- Don’t gargle warm water – Viruses live in your blood, not your throat. And, without a specific medical need, it can make you a human petri dish, prone to fungal infections and worse
- Masturbation will boost your immune system – So will regular sex. If you’re sheltering with someone, who’s willing to share their body, try and find a nice mix between the two. No matter what, however, it won’t stop the virus
- Ibuprofen & Advil have nothing to do with your lungs – No over the counter pain med interacts with your respiratory system. Go ahead and take what you need. I can promise they won’t kill you
- Ladies, there is no such thing as a Corona Virus Inspector who needs to see your breasts to confirm “positive air flow.” Quit falling for that trick
- Quit buying all the lupus and malaria medicines. The president was completely wrong about this. They won’t cure you, can possibly kill you if you don’t have the diseases they’re designed to treat, and you could be causing someone who truly needs them to suffer
First, so there is no confusion, let’s limit verifiable sources to the CDC and WHO and any they suggest. I say this now because I want to eliminate our president as a source of information. I’m not sure if he doesn’t understand, or just enjoys lying, but reasons are irrelevant, results are. Yesterday he went on national television and announced that there was a vaccine being tested in Washington, and that it was the fastest any such tests had ever come to fruition. This, clearly, was meant to calm people down and let them know a cure was forthcoming. The problem is, it’s not true. At least not in any meaningful sense. The National Institute of Health is in phase one testing of a possible vaccine that may, or may not, work on humans. The initial tests, based on years of international corona virus related research and not slapped together in a few weeks, showed some promise in animals.
[Read more…] about COVID-19 / Myths
People do stupid things for honorable reasons. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and not asphalt, after all. A man I know wanted to make things easier for his wife, who is in a wheelchair. So he built a ramp, with his own hands. And it is lovely to view. Unfortunately, to make it fit the front of their tiny home, and not thinking about alternate shapes, or directions, this ramp could have taken, it is now a thirty-five degree death slide. Neighbors have taken up a collection to hire him a contractor, which is sweet of them but, for now, people have to come by and carry his wife out the back door if she needs to go anywhere. Other people, in an effort to get “healthy” go on a detox diet. I’ll keep this simple and let Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D., from the Mayo Clinic, address whether they work; “Detoxification (detox) diets are popular, but there is little evidence that they eliminate toxins from your body.” As to the companion for these diets, FUN WITH ENEMAS, she adds this; “Colon cleansing, which is often recommended as part of a detox plan, can cause cramping, bloating, nausea and vomiting. Dehydration also can be a concern.” Well, I’m in. How ’bout you? Here’s the thing, your liver and kidneys do a great job of of filtering out the bad stuff every day. If you simply eat healthy, and drink eight glasses of water a day, you’ll be fine. If you’re still not convinced, visit Health.Com for an itemized list of the ways you are doing more harm than good.
[Read more…] about Don’t Do This
Way back in the early ears of World News Center I wrote a fun article about medical advancements that were coming down the pike at a rapid rate. One, human limb regeneration, has hit a tiny snag. Simply put, it doesn’t work. Here’s the thing, while many life forms on our planet can, and do, regenerate limbs, they are far less complex than people. The working parts in a simple hand number thirteen and that’s just an overview. Fingers count as one, for example. Add in the capillaries, supporting tissues, and so on and there’s a lot that needs to happen, in the right order, to make one work. But all is not lost. The science behind the research is still yielding some amazing results. “How amazing?” you ask tentatively.
[Read more…] about Knit One, Pearl Two