Every fucking day I wake up and try to shove my way through the stupid. One thing I haven’t been doing too much is updating this blog. That’s been purposeful. I’ve found people who use it as a touchstone for passing along accurate information about the novel coronoavirus lovingly known as COVID-19. By not pushing those posts down people can just come to the page, find what they need, and move on. But, today, I find that I have to add some updates. I swear to God I have to check and make sure I’m not reading something that was actually an article in The Onion first. Then I check a few other satire sites and, once I’ve eliminated them, I stare slack jawed at the idiocy. So, today, I’m gong to start by dealing with the dumbest fucking thing I’ve heard this week.
DO NOT TAKE INSULIN IF YOU’RE HEALTHY!
From the Deccan Herald;
When non-diabetic takes insulin
If a non-diabetic patient is injected with insulin, the degree of the fall of the sugar level is rapid. Doctors personalise and prescribe a dosage for diabetics, depending on their eating habits, and the extent of the diabetic condition. An insulin overdose, especially for one with no diabetes, can be extremely dangerous, and lead to a coma or worse, doctors warn.
The full story involves how a doctor killed his family with insulin.
From Medical News Today.
Insulin overdose, safety, and suicide
Insulin is a medication. People should keep it out of the reach of children and only use it according to a doctor’s instructions. If a person takes too much insulin or takes it when they do not need it, it can be fatal.
Occasionally, a person will use insulin in an attempt to take their life. If a person shows signs of severe depression or suicidal thoughts, they or a loved one should seek medical help or contact the National Suicide Helpline.
From the nice people over at Medicine Net.
Warnings and Precautions
- Hypoglycemia may occur and is the most common side effect of insulin treatment.
- Severe, life-threatening allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis, may occur.
- Hypokalemia (low blood potassium) may occur because insulin stimulates movement of potassium from blood into cells. Combining insulin with potassium-lowering drugs may increase the risk of hypokalemia.
- Intravenous administration increases the risk of hypoglycemia and hypokalemia.
Look, the final symptom of everything listed above is death. And the odds are heavily in favor of that being the outcome if you’re healthy and you inject yourself with insulin. From injection to death, depending on the amount, you could be looking at thirty seconds. Not enough time to get help.
I’ve posted these warnings before, but it seems necessary that I post them again with a couple of updates.
- Don’t drink bleach or any disinfectants – They can kill you
- Don’t gargle warm water regularly – Viruses live in your blood, not your throat. And, without a specific medical need, it can make you a human petri dish, prone to fungal infections and worse
- Masturbation will boost your immune system – So will regular sex. If you’re sheltering with someone, who’s willing to share their body, try and find a nice mix between the two. No matter what, however, it won’t stop the virus
- Ibuprofen & Advil have nothing to do with your lungs – No over the counter pain med interacts with your respiratory system. Go ahead and take what you need for your aches and pains. I can promise they won’t kill you, nor will they stop the virus.
- Ladies, there is no such thing as a Corona Virus Inspector who needs to see your breasts to confirm “positive air flow.” Quit falling for that trick
- Quit buying all the lupus and malaria medicines. The president was, and still is, completely wrong about this. They won’t cure you, can possibly kill you if you don’t have the diseases they’re designed to treat, and you could be causing someone who truly needs them to suffer
As to the last one, Dr. Fauci, finally and loudly, said “science shows hydroxychloroquine is not effective as a coronavirus treatment.”
Finally, to the Italian “doctors” our president thinks know more than the rest of the world’s scientists. Coronavirus is a virus. It’s right there in the fucking name.
The Republic did the unenviable task of tackling all the memes related to this and debunking each of them.
I’ll do the bullet points.
- The novel coronavirus is a part of a large family of viruses that are common in people and many different species of animals, including camels, cattle, cats, and bats. Rarely, animal coronaviruses can infect people and then spread between people such as with MERS-CoV, SARS-CoV, and now with this new virus, named SARS-CoV-2.
- The United States has not dealt with this well at all. We have four percent of the world’s population and thirty percent of the dead. A national emergency should never have been left to the states to deal with.
- The virus does not attack blood. It attacks tissue, mostly in the lungs, and causes those tissues to harden, like emphysema, only much faster. Then, the blood that normally flows through is pushed out and the patient drowns in their own blood.
- The World Health Organization never ordered a ban on autopsies. That would be fucking stupid.
I’ll keep it simple, if you are getting your info from a You Tube video – especially one with an electronic voice – someone breathlessly forwarded, you’re an idiot.
Go to the Centers for Disease Control, even though they’re actively censored by our current administration, they still have the most accurate info around. Also, head on over to the World Health Organization. If those are too “new world order” for you, head over to Johns Hopkins Hospital. They’re right here in the good old U. S. of A.
Stay safe, sane, and inside.